Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sambo's Celebrating Americas Bicentennial



This side of the coin says, Sambo's
Two Hundred
Years Of
Freedom
1776-1976




This side of the coin says
"Something good is always cooking Sambo's.
Then the date, in roman numerals, MCMLXXVI


These coins are hard to find now, heck they were a limited edition. I don't know the value of this coin but, on Americas Bicentennial they were given to a few select customers.

Here is a little bit of history of Sambo's, for those of you who don't know.

Sambo's Restaurant chain, a pancake-specialty joint founded in Santa Barbara, Calif., in 1957. The decor and advertising leaned heavily on images from Bannerman's book, but the name ultimately was a merging of the names of the founders, Sam Battistone and Newell "Bo" Bohnett. making the name, "Sambo's".

Though the name was taken from portions of the names of its founders, the chain soon found itself associated with "The Story Of Little Black Sambo". Battistone and Bohnett capitalized on the coincidence by decorating the walls of the restaurants with scenes from the book, including a dark-skinned boy and tigers. By the early 1970s, the illustrations depicted a light-skinned boy wearing a jeweled Indian-style turban with the tigers.

In 1982 my Sambo's closed the doors to become "Season's". It was at Season's, I met my future wife Sue and that love has endured. But that is a story, for another day.

Also another sad story, Pat's Pizza, which opened October 17 1978 closed there doors, on April 14 2008 (I think). I use to walk from Sambo's, to my apartment, and stopped there in the morning. I was there the day Pat's opened, and there the last day. I remember watching Pat and Trish's kids grow up, in Pat's. The original name of Pat's was, "The Irish Chicken Ship" I believe. Never the less, that name was a mouthful, least for me.

My favorite meal at Pat's was the "Meatball Grinder".


Well, I'll write more memories later on, later all....................

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite, no SPAM or I will delete the spam and report you to Google.