Sunday, June 28, 2009

California Sambo's

In fact, it has come to my attention that the original Sambo's Restaurant building is open in Santa Barbara. Here is a link to the original store, Sambo's.

Here is a little history of Sambo's.

Sambo's Restaurants was started in 1957 by Sam Battistone and Newell Bohnett. Though the name was taken from the names of the founders. Sam and Bo, from Bohnett, adding together for Sambo's.

In 1979, Sambo's had about 1,200 restaurants in 47 US states. In the late seventies controversy over the chain's name drew protests and lawsuits. A few communities viewed the term Sambo as a racial towards African-Americans. With the help of public pressure and even some lawsuits, the owners of Sambo's restaurants, eventually changed the name. Many of the restaurants became "Sam's. Bad management lead to the down fall of Sambo's.

I closed down a few of Sambo's restaurants. I helped closed, Sambo's in, Holbrook, Winslow, Flagstaff, Kingman, Needles, and in Las Vegas.

Personally, I wish Sambo's Restaurant would come back. The food was good, and the prices were very reasonable. If I ever won the "powerball" lottery, I would open a Sambo's, right here in Arizona. I have a menu from Sambo's I grabbed, when I helped close them.

I've rattled on long enough, now onto the California Sambo's.

I was in Torrance store #223 when I worked for Cathy, she drove a little MG, early 60's. While I worked there I was dating my high school sweet heart, Elizabeth "Liz" Chapa. This was during, the second time I worked at this store.


Interior view of Torrance Sambo's.

Across the street, kitty-corner was Harbor hospital, where my sister and younger brother were born.

The first time, I was 13, when I was looking for a job. I was hired as a dishwasher. What I didn't know was there was a bet between the head cook, and the manager. I was the subject of that bet. The head cook told the manager (who's name I've forgotten) that he could teach better then the manager could. The next person that walked through the door, would be trained, as a cook.

Little did I know this would change my life permanently. Before you ask, yes I lied about my age.

After I had learned how the dishes, and all those duties. The head cook took me off to the side, and asked me how I would like to learn to cook. Course I had to say yes, I mean it was a raise and everything.

Well the head cook won the bet. I never knew what the bet was over but, I enjoyed the benefits.

Later I transferred to Sonoma, just to get away from the big city. Yes, I am a country person. I transferred from, my 2nd time from Torrance. The managers name was Amir. I could not pronounce his last name, so I will not be saying it here. This was during the expansion of Sambo's, the store was #1018.

Well California, was really wearing on my nerves, so I left to go back home to Arizona. I will post on Arizona later, not today but later.............

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite, no SPAM or I will delete the spam and report you to Google.