Thursday, July 16, 2009

Apollo 11 Anniversary

Thinking back to today, 40 years ago, I was in the backyard, in a home made capsule of Apollo 11. There was Jim, and myself, my other brother Richard, decided no to go with us. We stayed in the mock-up of our capsule during the whole trip of Apollo 11. Thinking back on the innocence of the time, I don't think kids today could do it.

Apollo 11 was the first manned mission to land on the Moon. The first steps by humans on another planetary body were taken by Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin.

Listening to the radio, I can still remember these words. Houston. "Tranquility Base here. Eagle has landed." I also remember these, "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind". What an exciting day in history when the Eagle landed.

I will edit this later, as I need to head off to the doctors.

1 comment:

  1. I married Gerry Plunk. He would have been called Berald in high school. Lived on Ravenna before heading to UCLA. Did you know him?
    He is an Engineer.

    ReplyDelete

Please be polite, no SPAM or I will delete the spam and report you to Google.